Always Drink Responsibly

17 June 2013

Recap of Washington Brewers Festival 2013

This past weekend was a sunny & successful Washington Brewers Festival at Marymoor Park in Redmond. Approximately 75 breweries took part. There was also a tent for cider, mead & wine for those needing a break from hops. One of the many perks was the kids play area on Saturday & Sunday- Dads could enjoy their beer and not miss out on time with the kids for Father's Day.


The crowds gather at Washington Brewers Festival 2013
$25 entry gained you 6 tasting tokes, while $30 gained you 10. Additional tokens were also available for purchase inside. A handful of food trucks offered street fare from brats to tacos, burgers to fish n chips.

WABL members (Washington Beer Lovers) also received a t-shirt, commemorative glass for a larger 5 oz pour and a few extra tokens. Sign up to become a WABL member here

What it's all about!
There were definitely a few fan favorites based on the lines, such as Fremont, Redhook & Black Raven, but I found my faves to be the breweries I hadn't heard of nor had the chance to try previously. There were plenty of IPAs and Pales on tap to try, suitable for a warm summer's day. I'm not sure what was tapped Friday and Saturday, but it seemed a lack of amber and brown ales on Sunday to my dismay. I also overheard a few patrons complaining there should be more cider- only 1 cidery was on hand, Finnriver, as well as 1 meadery, Sky River.

I will share with you my favorites bearing in mind that my palate prefers lower IBU's- I'm just not a hoppy person typically. That being said, there were a few brews that surprised me and my palate. With so many choices, needless to say, I only scratched the surface.

Triplehorn's Porter doesn't disappoint


 LL's top 3:
#1 - Scuttlebutt Jalapeno Tripel
an incredible spicy twist on the Belgian classic-delicious!
#2 - Gallagher's Monk Treat
if you love a smooth Belgian, this one's for you!
#3 - Dirty Bucket Irish Apricot Ale
an Irish red with a refreshing apricot flavor


Always a long line at Black Raven's tap



















In addition to my top 3 picks, I also want to recognize the following tasty brews as well:
Best on a hot summer day:
7 Seas' Life Jacket (& don't forget Ballz Deep)
Georgetown's L.A. Woman Kolsch
Newer Breweries that delighted the palate:
Twelve Bar Brews, Bainbridge Island Brewery &
Bellevue Brewing Company

Kid's play area made it convenient for the moms & dads

As Sunday wound down to a close, I finished off the event with a tried & true Belgian- Odin Brewery's Thor's Equinox. As I stood in line for it, thunder began to clatter and soon the rain poured. It seemed apropos as I drank my beer of the gods.


-Robin